Historic day today, January 21, 2013
It’s a wonderful feeling for the anniversary to be marked by the 2nd term inaugural ceremonies for Barack Obama. A lot has changed in the intervening 50 years, but a lot of old attitudes have not, so I’m glad the country is progressing, and that Obama sees a future where we keep making improvements to this Imperfect Union of ours, but also scared by all the Tea Bag nut jobs that have surfaced in the country and become mainstream.
For this Martin Luther King day, I present an old illustration I did of MLK for an article in the Village Voice for a series documentary films about his life:
and here’s an illustration of Martin Luther King I did years ago:
No straight New Year’s resolutions from me this year, not that I’ve really done them in the last few years, but they are a good marker to set some sort of goal for the year. I like the idea of the 3 year look-ahead goal instead, so I think I’ll do something like that instead of the traditional New Year’s resolution.
Here’s a list of things I’d like to happen within the next three years:
- Do an eight minute mile. (doesn’t sound fast, but I’m doing about 11 -12 minutes a mile right now, and my knees kill me after every run.
- Draw more. Ink something
- Write out ideas for stories. Sketch and layout one or more of these stories, does not have to be “finished”, just need to get something down on paper.
- Paint! (could be water color, gouache, acrylic and/or oil and/or tempera paint.)
- Publish more drawings, sketches
- Write more, there have some great comics at our library, and I should write the ones I read, up, as some of them have bee really great , and some have been real disappointments. It would be nice to have a record of them for other casual readers who don’t visit a comic book store, but would like to know what’s worth picking up.
- “Finish” the walls in the basement. (And the combination of me and Sophia will “finish” the basement to be used the way we originally intended at the end of three years)
- Have the bathroom plumbing in the basement completed.
I’ll post this now and update it when I have more time…